What is hospice care?
Hospice is a concept of care that offers symptom management, education about the end-of-life process, support and comfort to terminally ill patients and their loved ones.
Islands Hospice provides services to individuals who have been given a life-limiting prognosis of less than six months and choose to focus on caring, not curing.
We deliver care to our patients' place of residence, whether it is at home or in a care facility. In cases where a greater level of care is necessary, we can provide short-term inpatient care or continuous care. We also offer respite care to provide caregivers with a temporary break for periods up to five days.
The benefits of hospice care are covered 100% by Medicare and most insurance plans. Islands Hospice provides services to all patients eligible for hospice, regardless of their ability to pay.
All our hospice patients have access to the following services:
- 24-hour nurse and hospice physician consultations and visits
- Hospice related medications and 24-hour medication delivery
- Hospice related medical equipment and supplies
- Assistance with personal care needs
- General inpatient care, continuous care and respite care options
- Volunteer services
- Bereavement and spiritual counseling