When a loved one dies, family members may experience a wide range of emotions and grief that affects their daily lives. Islands Hospice is committed to helping families through hospice care and beyond. We recognize that loss and grief are often challenging, and we are ready to help.
What services are included?
We offer a variety of resources, including:
- Grief support groups for adults
- Individualized and group support for younger children utilizing Art and Play Therapy Tools as well as for teenagers using more direct communication tools
- Self-guided resources in our grief lending library
- Face-to-face visits with a bereavement counselor
- Memorial activities
- Referral to more specialized grief resources in the community (e.g. substance abuse experts, etc.)
For a free, helpful introduction to dealing with the death of a loved one, click here.
Why consider a grief support group?
A grief support group offers fellowship and understanding from others who have experienced a loss and are facing similar challenges. Support groups provide a safe place to share honestly, care for and support one another, and find strength in addressing our emotions.
Community support groups
- Kaneohe - Meets at Aloha Nursing and Rehab Center (45-545 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe 96744) on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 10 am. Contact is Colleen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kapolei - Meets at Ilima at Leihano (739 Leihano Street, Kapolei 96707) on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday, 6 pm. Contact is Paul, email@example.com.
- Honolulu - Meets at the Islands Hospice office (1301 Young St, Honolulu 96814) on the 1st Tuesday, 6 pm. Contact is Jackie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Magic Island - Meets on the beach on the 1st and 3rd Thursday at 9 am. Bring your beach chair or towel as the group meets on the grassy area behind Lifeguard Station 'E.' Contacts are Elizabeth, email@example.com or Jackie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wailuku, Maui - Meets at 432 Waiehu Beach Road on the first Wednesday of every month 9;30 am.
- We also have a group that gardens together and talks with one another on the 3rd Wednesday from 9:15 am - 12 pm at Ho‘oulu ‘Aina (Healing through the Land). Optional meet up at 9 am at Kam Shopping Center (1620 N School St, Honolulu 96817) to head over together. Contact is Lurline, email@example.com.
Call Islands Hospice at (808) 550-2552 to speak with a member of our Bereavement Services department.